In 2010 the world has a small window of opportunity for real change. This window of opportunity has been provided by the military defeats of the American Empire in Iraq and Afghanistan and the severe economic recession in the homeland. Those of us who had hoped that change would come from an inspired President Barak Obama are very sadly disappointed. President Obama has made it crystal clear in the first year of his administration that he intends to be as White as every previous American president and equally warmongering. There is absolutely no sign that President Obama wants to change the course set by President George W. Bush and his predecessors for American foreign policy. President Obama has expanded the war in Afghanistan and across the Afghan border into Pakistan. He continues the colonization of Iraq and continues to threaten Iran and North Korea. He has made no effort to restrain Israel or provide any support for the Palestinian people. He has even begun a new war and occupation in Yemen which will likely expand into Somalia.
President Obama, out of necessity, not choice, has continued the disastrous foreign policy of George W. Bush by switching from American unilateralism to American multilateralism. Bush was able to use the unilateral approach because a decade ago the American Empire was much stronger economically and militarily. Obama uses a multilateral approach only because the American Empire today is both economically and militarily weak. Obama does not have a choice. Obama’s multilateral approach has not so far changed the agenda of American foreign policy. It’s a continuation of the foreign policy set by the West six centuries ago. When George W. Bush invaded Iraq he was unable to cajole two Western leaders, President Jacques Chirac of France and Chancellor Gerhard Schroder of Germany, into supporting his illegal invasion. But the other Western leaders were on board. Far from the Western alliance falling apart or Britain being isolated from Europe because Tony Blair supported the American invasion, France and Germany are now one with Britain and the American Empire. The Western alliance today is more solid than it has ever been. President Obama is clever enough to make full use of that solidarity to pursue exactly the same course set for US foreign policy by George W. Bush.
What I called the “three asses of evil,” Bush, Blair and Harper, in my Rise and Fall of the American Empire, was replaced by three new “asses of evil,” Obama, Brown and Sarkozy. President Nicolas Sarkozy of France joined with Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany to repair what they saw as a small crack in the historic alliance between the American Empire and Europe. Gordon Brown replaced Tony Blair as “poodle” to the American president. Canada’s Steven Harper became a marginal player. Britain is once again united with Europe in ensuring that the American Empire will not have to stand alone in its pursuit of Western supremacy.
One conclusion I am sure of. The removal of the American Empire as the leader of the World is a necessary condition for change. It many not be sufficient for change. But it is necessary and essential. I reached that conclusion once I was convinced that President Obama is following the same course as all American presidents beginning with George Washington. The American Empire will never elect an American leader who will change course. That is clearly the will of the electorate. The American Empire effectively has a one-party “democracy,” despite its rhetoric to the contrary. Whether the people elect Democrats or Republicans the fundamentals of its policies, both domestic and foreign, remain those of a warmongering behemoth with the same three centuries of tunnel vision. It will never be an empire which will bring peace to the world, inspire the human race to develop, maximize resources devoted to reducing poverty, reduce excessive consumption and planetary degradation or work towards racial equality and equality of opportunities. It will never inspire the world to create just societies, true democracies, and true freedom of the press.
China holds the Key for Real Change
The opportunity for change in my lifetime, rests solely with China. The West desperately wants to co-opt China to its cause as it did with Japan after the Second World War. The West has been courting China’s subservience ever since President Richard Nixon visited China in 1972. This began as a strategy to isolate the Soviet Union and win the Cold War. With the collapse of the Soviet Union the American Empire became invincible and no longer needed allies. That was why George W. Bush made American foreign policy unilateral.
In 2010, President Barak Obama desperately needs China on side to continue the Western colonization of the Middle East and prevent countries like Iran and North Korea developing nuclear defence capability. This need to co-opt China as a means of maintaining Western hegemony is far greater in 2010 than it was in 2000. In addition to the relative economic and military decline of the American Empire in the last decade Russia has regained some of its Cold War power and prestige after Vladimir Putin replaced Boris Yeltsin as president in 2000.
What does Co-opting China mean?
To a large extent the West has already co-opted China to its cause. That cause is the preservation of a Western culture which began with the Spanish victory over the Muslims in Grenada in 1491. This Western culture spread from Western Europe to the New World following the discoveries of Christopher Columbus and to Asia and Africa following the discovery of the sea route to India and the beginning of the transatlantic slave trade. The foundations of this Western culture, which has dominated the World for six centuries now, can be summarized as follows:
1. Begin with, and maintain at all cost, the unquestioned view that the White race is superior to all other races.
2. Enslave or subjugate all Non-Whites you conquer and permanently deny full and equal citizenship rights to Non-Whites.
3. Begin with, and maintain at all cost, the unquestioned view that Christianity is the only civilized religion.
4. Begin with, and maintain at all cost, military superiority over those who may challenge Western hegemony.
5. Engage in constant wars, domestic and foreign, to make the military and warmongering deeply entrenched institutions in every facet of society so that no one would ever contemplate a world without wars. Fight with Western states as well as non-Western states. Make your citizens depend on wars for their livelihoods, careers, promotion, recognition, political and economic advancement.
6. Develop a media which promotes this culture and defends it with biased and selective reporting.
7. Instil in citizens the pride of defending the military, the constitution, the warmongering, the foreign invasions, the expansion of empire, the denigration of non-Western culture, values and religious beliefs.
8. Use every form of propaganda and hypocrisy to defend and promote false interpretations of Western culture, Western domination, Western aggression, Western warmongering, Western invasions, Western values and Western beliefs.
9. Confuse the citizenry as to what governments do, lie, deceive and threaten, punish dissent, promote and reward subservience, use colourful and loaded language, educate with biased and indoctrinated professors and historians.
10. Institute a legal as opposed to a justice system to maintain and enhance the status quo, easily punish those who dare to threaten it, defend those who commit crimes against humanity.
11. Maintain the sanctity of private property, promote the illusion of equal economic and political opportunities but maintain inequality of wealth, power, prestige and influence.
12. Promote the unchallenged view that non-Western values are primitive, uncivilized, barbaric, homophobic, intolerant of religious fr