Jan Muhammad Dashti served the government of Balochistan in various capacities as Assistant Commissioner and Deputy Commissioner in many districts and as Principal Secretary to Chief Minister and Secretary to the government for departments of Health, Education, and Mines and Minerals. Dashti has written many books on Balochi literature, Baloch history, culture, religious philosophy, its war and conflicts with Iran and Pakistan. Some of his books include:
* Pa Shefaan Kohien Chotawaan Aibenth (2017/ 2019)
* Dil pa Mehraan o Cham pama Aazaaraan Zaranth (2012/2019)
* Dil Hawassani Suthkagien Thaaleh (2008/2012/2019)
* Bathal Gwashthen o Gaalband (2012/2017),
* Wash Ethanth Ahdi Dour Balochaani (2017) (2-vol)
* Labz Balad (2015/2017) (Balochi Dictionary)
* Baadeshah Hudawand Wath Ath (2015)
* Baloch Cultural Heritage (2000).
Dashti survived an ambush in Quetta in February 2009 with fatal injuries. No inquiry was initiated and no clue of assailants revealed. The evidence indicates the patronized killing of Baloch intellectuals and writers.