Independent titles are getting more and more popular on the market these days, and while self-published authors are enjoying an increase in sales online, it can still be pretty tough getting brick-and-mortar shops to stock their books.
Even authors with great PR and marketing skills often have to go through quite a few hoops to convince retailers to take on their books. That’s why we’ve designed our Retail Focus Service to help you get your books into bookstores’ shelves.
You can promote your book and let it be seen by independent bookstores with a strategic combo of print ads in two periodicals about publishing (Advance Catalog and ForeWord Magazine), and a customized sales kit.
This service includes:
- Your book, pitched to 25 independent bookstores across the US (with focus on a specific area or state) over the span of three months, using a customized sales kit
- A single-slot print ad in Ingram’s Advance Catalog
- A single-slot print ad in the quarterly publication ForeWord Magazine (1 out of 10 slots)
- The Booksellers Return Program for 12 months
- A guarantee that at least 2 of the bookstores/retailers will agree to test your book
- You also have the option to extend your campaign by adding 25 more independent bookstores.
- In order for us to guarantee that at least two bookstores/retailers will test your book, we may recommend that you allow our professional designers to make your book cover more acceptable to retailers at no extra cost. Retailers also prefer books that have been professionally copyedited. Make sure your book is retail-ready with these editorial services.
- Your book’s official publication date must not be more than two (2) years ago; alternately, you or your book must have received recognition in any form (an award, a 5-star review, or media coverage) in the last 24 months. If your book does not meet these criteria, we cannot guarantee that the bookstores/book retailers will stock a test copy.
- Your book must already be available for sale before the campaign starts.
About Advance Catalog
For over 20 years, Ingram’s Advance Catalog has been highlighting the best and forthcoming titles through its monthly buying guide. This publication is read by over 7,000 retailers, librarians, and international customers via print, as well as 27,000 international and domestic booksellers and librarians in digital format. Along with title listing, it also leads in editorial content, including author interviews, merchandising tips, and products news.
About ForeWord Magazine
One of the most reputable publications in the industry, ForeWord is a bimonthly magazine with a readership of more than 30,000 librarians and booksellers— including 1,100 American Bookseller Association members—all of whom make buying decisions and reader recommendations that affect the reading habits of millions of patrons and consumers. It is carried in all Books-A-Million bookstores, select Barnes & Noble stores, and independent bookstores across the US. Founded in 1998, it is still the only magazine showcasing critical reviews and title trends exclusively from the expanding independent publishing market.