Publishing with Trafford
What types of books are ineligible for a Library of Congress Control Number?
The Library of Congress sets strict guidelines about which books may receive a Library of Congress Control Number.
The following types of books are ineligible for Library of Congress Control Numbers:
- Books which do not list a U.S. city as place of publication on the title page or copyright page
- E-Books (i.e. books published in electronic format)
- Custom editions
- Items under 50 pages with the exception of genealogies and children's literature and catalog exhibitions submitted by museums and art galleries
- Textbooks below the college level
- Items not intended for wide distribution to libraries
- Religious instructional materials
- Expendable educational materials
- Transitory or consumable materials, such as coloring books, comic books, and cut-out books.
- Music scores
- Crossword puzzle books